Many people choose to get married in Belize. With gorgeous natural backdrops, simple regulations, and no stringent blood tests required, it's no surprise that Belize is a popular place to tie the knot.
If you have been considering getting married in Belize, here's what you need to know.
- The wedding party (bride and groom) must be in Belize at least three days before applying for a wedding license. Proof of divorce/death of a former spouse must be presented, where applicable. No blood tests are required.
- It usually only takes 24 hours for the marriage application to be approved.
- The wedding party must provide proof of citizenship (a passport is good enough).
- A Belizean Senior Justice of the Peace, Belizean church minister, or boat captain must perform the ceremony.
- At least two witnesses must be present, including one man and one woman.
That's it! Once you're married in Belize, it will be recognized as valid in other countries as well, including the United States, so you won't have to file any additional paperwork. Belize is an English-speaking country, so your marriage certificate will be in English.
The price of a marriage license is $100 (American) plus a $5 administration fee per couple. As long as both partners are over age 18, no parental consent is required. Once the wedding has been officiated, the marriage must be registered with the local Registry Department.
Cahal Pech Village Resort
The lovely Cahal Pech Village Resort located in San Ignacio in central Belize has all the amenities you'll need for a perfect Belize wedding. Guests can choose between many beautiful locations for the ceremony, including the nearby ancient Maya royal palace at Cahal Pech (just minutes from the resort), the ancient Maya city of Xunantunich (about a 15-minute drive from the resort), on a pontoon in the middle of a pristine lake, on the grounds of the resort itself, or just about anywhere else in the greater Cayo district, the eco-tourism mecca of Belize that's home to gorgeous natural settings like waterfalls, mountains, and rivers.
Cahal Pech Village Resort has an experienced team of wedding planners that will work with you to ensure that your special day goes off without a hitch. Additional services that can be provided include a photographer, videographer, wedding cake, floral arrangements, a stylist, a Justice of the Peace to officiate the ceremony, and help with filing and registering the necessary paperwork.
Questions about getting married in Belize? Send us an email or call 239-494-3281. We will love to help you plan your Belize wedding.