Johnny Cakes are not only a delectable morning breakfast but remain one of the top foods to eat in Belize. In this blog post, we share the ingredients and instructions on how to make Johnny Cakes.
Recipe for Belizean Johnny Cakes
- 1 lb flour
- 1/2 cup shortening or substitute marjarine, or butter
- 3 heaped teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Pre-Heat oven to 400 F about 205 C.
- Place Flour, Salt, Baking Powder and Shortening in a bowl.
- With finger tips rub shortening and flour mixture together (like when making biscuits, the flour and fat should form bread crumb like clumps).
- Add Coconut Milk slowly to crumbs like flour mixture and work with hands to make a dough.
- Add 2nd cup of Coconut Milk, just enough to make a soft dough. If dough feels stiff add a little more coconut milk.
- You are not making bread so do not over mix or knead.
- As soon as you have a nice soft dough roll it out into a long strip about 12 to 15 inches. Cut the rolled dough into 1 1/2″ to 2″ size pieces.
- Shape into round balls put on greased baking sheet.
- Flatten lightly with palm of hand and prick with a fork.
- Bake in hot oven until golden brown typically about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with Dutch Gouda cheese.
Watch the video