Photo credit: Vista Cove Belize
Belizean foods are a remarkable collaboration between peoples, generations, ingredients and cooking styles.
Featured Recipe: Belizean Rice and Beans
Rice and Beans is one of the most popular foods in Belize. In fact, it is a meal that is prepared every Sunday by many Belizeans country wide. If you visit any restaurant in Belize that specializes in Belizean food, you will definitely find rice and beans with stew chicken and potato salad in the menu.
Rice and beans is considered a creole dish and has been described as the “staple of Belize cuisine”. Here are the instructions and ingredients on how to make delicious rice and beans.
1 lb. Red Kidney Beans 2 plugs Garlic (crushed)
1 tsp. Salt
1 cup coconut Milk (either squeezed from grated coconut or bought prepared, canned, or made from powered variety)
½ tsp. Black pepper
½ tsp. Thyme
2 lbs. cleaned Rice
1 medium Onion (sliced)
6-8 cups of water
(optional) 1 small pigtail or salt beef or pieces of bacon
1. Wash the beans, then soak beans for 4 hours, using the 6-8 cups of water. If you are using distilled water, then soaked beans only needs 2 hours to soften.
2. Boil beans until tender, with the garlic, onion and pig’s tail/or salted beef or bacon pieces. Note: pre-wash the pigtail or salt beef and cut off excess fat. You can use a pressure cooker to cut down on the time.
3. Season beans with black pepper, thyme and salt. Note: You may opt not to add the salt if you used salt beef or pigtail above.
4. Add coconut milk. Stir and then let boil.
5. Add rice to seasoned beans. Stir, then cover. Cook on low heat until the water is absorbed and rice is tender. If necessary, add more water gradually until rice is tender. Note: Usually, one cup of rice absorbs two cups of water, although rice grains can vary in the amount of water they absorb. To warm up leftover rice-and-beans, you can sprinkle with water to re-moisten.How to Make Belizean Rice and Beans by admin